Ukrainian army proposal to call up more civilians gets mixed reaction in Kyiv – Times of India

Ukrainian army proposal to call up more civilians gets mixed reaction in Kyiv - Times of India

KYIV: Oh Ukrainian army The proposal to recruit 500,000 more civilians has evoked mixed feelings. CafeMany say more troops are needed to fight Russia, but some say it’s pointless until they get more weapons.
President Vladimir Zelensky announced the army’s proposal on Tuesday but said he had not yet decided whether to back it.
Such a move would be aimed at helping replenish exhausted Ukrainian forces nearly two years after a full-scale Russian invasion, but could risk a backlash from those who oppose it.
Ukraine does not provide details of current troop numbers but has previously said it has about 1 million men under arms. Russia has expanded its military since last year’s invasion of Ukraine and has said it plans to increase it to 1.5 million.
Anton Hrushatsky, executive director of the Kiev International Institute of Sociology, said polling data showed that more than 65 percent of Ukrainians would strongly support or support a significant further mobilization.
But he told Reuters that the figures could be skewed by people wanting to respond to “socially desirable” times of war.
Oleksandr, 27, a serviceman who declined to give his surname, welcomed the idea of ​​a major mobilization, saying front-line positions were poorly defended.
He told Reuters that army reserves should be strengthened because people fear being drafted, assuming they will automatically be sent to hotspots.
“Most people are scared now because they don’t understand (the situation). They think they will join the forces and they will be immediately killed or tortured. Nothing like that happens, ” he said in the Ukrainian capital on Wednesday.
Questions on morale, foreign aid
Ukraine, which imposed martial law after Russia invaded, has regularly conscripted people throughout the war.
The process has been carried out largely out of sight, although some social media videos have shown draft officers handing out call-up papers on the streets, in metro stations or gymnasiums, and in some cases using force against resisters. .
Raphael, a 40-year-old sculptor who declined to give his name, said forced mass mobilization could adversely affect future murals.
“People are losing motivation. If some are forced to fight against their will, our army will not be motivated enough to fight,” he said.
Tatiana, a 37-year-old office worker, said the more important issue than manpower was getting more military and financial aid from abroad.
“I think (mobilizing people) will not be enough (to win the war). We need the support of the West, the United States. Our troops will not be enough,” he said.
Aid packages from the United States and the European Union totaling more than $100 billion have been blocked by political concerns abroad.
“It (mobilization) will not help the cause. There is no point in mobilizing large numbers of people, and then leaving them without supplies,” said Dennis, a 21-year-old serviceman.
He said that Ukrainian authorities are not spending enough money on weapons.
The military has not commented on Zielinski’s statement about the mobilization. The Army and the government have been discussing ways to improve mobilization for weeks.
Army Chief on Monday Valery Zlozny Criticized Zielinski’s decision to fire the heads of regional military draft offices that summer, describing them as “professionals” who were now dead.
He said that the mobilization program did not need to be strengthened but should be brought back to the model that had worked for the first phase of the war.

Volodymyr Zelenskiy,Valery zaluzhnyi,Ukrainian army,observation,Kyiv
ukrainian-army-proposal-to-call-up-more-civilians-gets-mixed-reaction-in-kyiv-times-of-india

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


*